Friday, July 8, 2011

Crisis =opportunity

In early April my principal sent me an email at 8.45 in the morning stating that we would have to have a meeting that afternoon regarding the situation of the office, and being the co-elective I thought this was in general. To clarify I sent an email asking whether it was about my situation in said office or the office's, to which he said, 'unfortunately, it's your situation we need to discuss'.

Now that is what I call insightful leadership. Seriously. How the hell was I supposed to be able to do _anything_ in the office from 8.46 to 15.30?

Of course I went on a spiraling trip; 'maybe I actually am not good enough to work here ... even here'. I hadn't felt my resources being put to good use there since I begun, and this was truly an inspiring way of continuing my day. So anyhow, self-pity, doubt, anger and annoyance aside, I asked the elective to take part of the meeting as he had gotten a copy of the email, not knowing whether I was to be fired or getting a reprimande. He was unwilling to partake, and I was seriously annoyed as he apparently knew what was going to happen - and none of them wanted to give me any form of clue. Finally he agreed, and quite soon it became clear that the office didn't have enough work for everyone, and that being the last one on board, I was also the first one to temporarily go on government support, or the dole. For 5 months. No shitty work, but still get a bit of pocket money. Terrible.

So for two weeks I kept up the good work, come the last Friday, pack up things, leave early with a spring in my step (I waited till I was around the corner to do my little victory dance) and take my boyfriend on a surprise celebration trip to Edinburgh. Lovely city and a sweet taste of spring. They have an actual freakin' VOLCANO downtown.

Since I've registered my own firm, started designing my own projects and gotten sponsors and full government support for one which we'll build in august and exhibit throughout the fall. Even the darkest night comes to an end at dawn, and it's looking like it'll be a nice new day.


And so chapter four of 'happy life' begins.



No comments: