Thursday, June 12, 2008

At home

Today I'm at home after calling in sick this morning. I left work early yesterday, came home and literally passed out on my bed in fever for a couple of hours, still in my work clothes, ceiling spinning opposite way of the ground, bucket at the side of the bed because I believe it deserves to see some more beautiful scenery than just the washing room.

Have been feeling a bit better today and even ventured out for a late lunch with a friend at 3, my first meal in over a day. T had had the most peculiar dream about meeting his grandmother in a younger and way more buff version, dressed in a tank-top (or a wife beater as they're called here). A blue one. Apparently that was the thing that freaked him out, because men are supposed to dream in black and white while women in colour. He thinks it's related to women being able to multitask, men not. I said that I dream in colour and that I'm shit at multitasking. My dreams are always more vivid when I have cheese or apple just before going to bed; T had a cheese sandwich just before tucking in.

The thing that I found out I wanted to think more about, basically just as I wrote it, was the title. I first wrote it as a geographical description, ie. not 'at work slaving away' or 'at the Exchange hotel checking out hot boys', but started thinking about the saying 'home is where the heart is'. At the moment I'm living in Australia, on the opposite side of the world from the rest of my family and friends (I have a history of re-rooting a bit away from the nest).I find I start questioning things like feeling of belonging, roots and nationality when I'm this far away. For the longest time I was knowing that I'm half american, but unaware, if that makes any sense; you know it for a fact, you just haven't processed it and taken in the full meaning of it. So I know where I come from, now I'm just trying to figure out where I belong - and with that, where home is. At the moment home is where my hat is, my sweet woolen, charcoal sixpence I got for my birthday two months ago from my awesome Aussie friends down here.

1 comment:

Superchilled said...

Just found your comment on my travel blog and worked my way back to here.
So you're originally from Norway? And now in Sydney?
Any suggestions of Norway / Sweden travel are welcome!
Hope it's not too cold there - it was cold here in Stockholm yesterday - but today is sunny and fantastisk so far. Cheers, Trevor.